National Education And Training
RTO 46063

Important Firearms Licensing Requirements
in Queensland



1. WE WILL NEED TO SEND YOU the reading material for the Firearms Safety Course you wish to attend prior to commencment of the firearms safety training course.

The reading material can be emailed once you have booked a course and will need to be read before attending the course you have selected.

2. Before commencing the Firearms Safety course you will need to apply for a Unique Student Identification number. This takes approx 2 minutes to complete online.

This is a requirment for all persons undertaking recognised training from the 1st January 2015. Please bring this number with you to the firearms safety training course you attend. We are unable to issue a statement of attainment without this number.

Click the button below to goto the site and register

Who Can Apply?

To get a gun licence you must:

  • be over the age of 18
  • firearms safety training courseduring the previous year
  • have secure storage for your guns
  • have a legitimate reason for owning the gun such as being a member of a gun club or a collector—you may have to provide proof to support your reason
  • be a ‘fit and proper person’—this takes into consideration your criminal record and potential health issues.

If you’re aged between 11 and 17, you can apply for a minor’s licence.


About gun licences

Anyone in Queensland wishing to own or use a gun, crossbow, paintball gun, and even own certain types of knife, must have a valid weapons’ licence.

The most commonly held licence in Queensland is a general ‘Firearms Licence’ which is suitable for the needs of farmers and sports and target shooters.

If you have a licence and want to buy a weapon, you must complete a 'permit to acquire'. Only people with a valid weapons’ licence can complete this form.


Types of weapons licence

The type of licence you need depends on the category of weapon you want to own or use, and what you want to use it for so you will ned a gun course to match your requirements.
  • firearms: The most commonly used general licence used by farmers and sports and target shooters.
  • minor: A restricted firearms licence for young people between the ages of 11 and17 which allows use of weapons in certain circumstances, but not the acquisition of firearms.
  • visitor::For people temporarily visiting Queensland with a firearm.
  • armourer: Required if you run a business for the storage, manufacture, modification or repair of weapons.
  • dealer: Required if you run a business buying or selling weapons.
  • firearms instructor: Required if you give firearms’ training on behalf of a Registered Training Organisation.
  • group: Authorises members of an organisation or employees of an organisation to possess and use weapons for the purpose stated on your licence e.g. members of a sports or target shooting club.
  • blank-fire firearm: Issued for the use of blank-fire firearms for use in the theatre or at sporting events.
  • theatrical ordnance supplier: Required if you run a business supplying weapons on a temporary basis for use in theatre film or television productions.
  • collector's licence: Required by weapons collectors and permits the ownership of temporarily or permanently disabled weapons.
  • miscellaneous weapons: Required for the use of body armour, crossbows and the possession of some knives.
  • security (guard): Required if you provide armed security services for the escort of valuables.
  • security (organisation): Required by businesses providing armed security services for the escort of valuables by licensed employees.

Apply online

You can apply for a weapons licence online. You can either upload and attach the necessary documentation or send them separately by post.

You can pay using credit/debit Mastercard or Visa.

Apply at your local police station

You can also apply for a licence using a paper application form. You will need to complete the form and take it to

your local police station with the required documentation and payment.

Permit to acquire (PTA)

Once you either have or have applied for a weapons’ licence, you can apply for a permit to acquire (PTA) a weapon.

You must be over 18 years of age to apply for a permit to acquire, so a ‘Minors’ firearms licence is not accepted for PTA applications. Minors are not allowed to buy weapons in Queensland.

As with a gun licence, you can either apply online or at your local police station using the paper based form (PDF).

There is a mandatory waiting period for a PTA of 28 days from the date the application is lodged.

Changing your address

If you have a weapons’ licence, you need to let the police know if you change your home or weapons storage address within 14 days of the change.

You can do this using the online change of address form if you have a current email address. Otherwise, you can complete the paper change of address form(PDF) and take it to your local police station.

Renewing, surrendering, amending or cancelling your licence

You can register new weapons to your licence but you may have to pay a one-off fee for each firearm.

You need to let the police know if your circumstances change (e.g. you change your name or address) within 14 days of the change.

Find out who to contact if your circumstances change, you lose your licence, or you need to renew, give up or cancel your licence.